Thursday, August 04, 2005

About Me

When i tell my friends about this site - they ask me 'Why the hell i did it?' and "How on Earth i got the time?', and frankly i don't think i am great writer, but, i certainly feel i am blessed coz i have been able to visit a lot of places or atleast pass through. so, i just wished to document it all.
Each one of us have our own missions and visions and our roads may seldom meet. But, with this travelogue and photos, i would like to share with you all a part of my life, which i think i has been the most interesting bit of it all. So, you can see a lot of the places through a different persons work.
To tell you all about what i am, what i have been doing, putting 30 yrs of life in about 1000 words is going to be a toughie..i'll try.
Needless to say, i love this country 'India' where i was born. I took up a job with a FMCG major that expected its marketing personnel to travel for 10 days in a 28 day journey cycle. That job took me to all the nooks and corners of South India, coz i was involved in Rural marketing initiatives for the hair care product that i was handling. The travel bug bit me then.
Even after i quit that company, i took every opportunity to travel, every long weekend was converted to a vacation.
During my college years, i had done a course in 'Pratical Photography'. Since then, i have experimented with a camera. First with my moms Canon Prima, and then later with a Kodak KB 10. I improved a lot on my compositions. Later, i bought my Nikon SLR, which is my inseparable companion during my journeys.
It is not that, i have a bunch of places written down on a list, that i tick off once i visit them. The more i read about a place, the more i want to get there. So, as soon as i get the break from work, and during the long weekends, i set off. I usually travel budget, and make my plans on my own. No agents involved in most cases.
Apart from travelling, i like photography. The two go together. I love to trek. I can't swim so no white river rafting etc for me. I love to read books - Paulo Coelho's, Richard Bach's, and about world religions, like to paint, learnt to play the guitar for 3 months, i did a bit of rowing ( i still like the sport, haven't got the time ), learnt Japanese for a 1 yr, Oh - those Kanjis are so difficult to remember, my latest obsession is to learn to make candles. I watch every movie that hits the theatres. My favourites are The Matrix, 7 years in Tibet, The Beach, The Lion King & Fight Club. If i could be a movie character for a day, i would love to be Tyler Dursden ( Brad Pitt ) of Fight Club. Second option would be Lara Croft, the Tomb Raider. I love Chettinad and Andhra cuisine - Hot and spicy.
It's never enough, and am eager to get to the rest of the places i have read and heard about, and will finish with Robert Frost's famous lines....'The woods are lonely dark and deep. And i have promises to keep. And miles to go before i sleep. And, miles to go before i sleep.

Sandhya Reddy